Home National News TWG wants study terminated; motorcycle taxis deemed illegal anew

TWG wants study terminated; motorcycle taxis deemed illegal anew

By Raymond Carl Dela Cruz

 

MANILA — Motorcycle taxis may soon be declared illegal following the recommendation of the Department of Transportation’s Technical Working Group on motorcycle taxis (TWG) to terminate its pilot study on motorcycles as public transportation due to legal impediments.

In an interview before a Senate hearing on the regulation and legalization of motorcycle taxis on Monday, TWG chair Antonio Gardiola Jr., said the TWG would recommend the termination of the study due to a “legal rigmarole” that failed the gathering of data for the study.

SENATE HEARING. Senator Grace Poe, the chairperson of the Senate Committee on Public Services, presides over the public hearing on the regulation and legalization of motorcycle taxis at the Senate in Pasay City on Monday (Jan. 20, 2020). Department of Transportation-Technical Working Group on motorcycle taxis chair Antonio Gardiola Jr. said the TWG would recommend the termination of the study due to a “legal rigmarole” that failed the gathering of data. (PNA photo by Avito C. Dalan)

“We cannot gather data because of actions being undertaken of one of the players so it’s better to terminate it,” Gardiola said.

He said once the study has been terminated, motorcycles taxis would be deemed illegal.

“So maybe a week from now, we will start enforcement already,” Gardiola said.

On Wednesday, a Mandaluyong court junked the petition by motorcycle taxi company Angkas for another temporary restraining order (TRO) against the TWG’s revised guidelines for motorcycle taxis.

This came after Angkas filed a separate petition before the Quezon City Regional Trial Court for a TRO against the new rider cap, apprehension of “excess riders,” and exclusion of its two competitors from the program.

Angkas also filed an earlier petition for a 72-hour TRO against the revised guidelines which it obtained on January 6.

The revised guidelines issued in December last year limited the maximum number of riders in Metro Manila to 30,000 and in Metro Cebu to 9,000 — divided equally between the three approved companies Angkas, JoyRide, and Move It.

Angkas claimed the new rider cap would result in the loss of jobs for 17,000 of its riders — with Angkas claiming to have a total of 27,000 riders — resulting in a conflict between the company and the TWG. (PNA)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

MUST READ

No Filipino citizenship for non-compliant foreigners: CA

By Benjamin Pulta   MANILA -- A Court of Appeals (CA) ruling stressed the need for strict compliance of requirements for foreign nationals seeking naturalization as a...

‘Soil restoration’ to cover all parts of Ilocos Norte

By Leilanie Adriano LAOAG CITY -- The provincial government of Ilocos Norte, through the Sustainable Development Center (SDC), is urging farmers to shift to organic...

P48M allotted for high-value crops production in Caraga

By Alexander Lopez BUTUAN CITY –- The Department of Agriculture in Caraga (DA-13) said a total of P48 million is allocated in the region for...

Espenido back to PRO-6 while facing adjudication

By Nanette Guadalquiver BACOLOD CITY –- Lieutenant Colonel Jovie Espenido welcomed the due process granted by Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief, Gen. Archie Gamboa, to...

PUV modernization on full swing this year—LTO-CAR

By Liza Agoot BAGUIO CITY --- The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board in the Cordillera Administration Region (LTFRB-CAR) on Tuesday said the implementation of...