How did the PUP College of Communication come about? From its birthing years to its present status, many do not know about its roots and colorful history. Every COCian should learn and realize, that the road to independence and accomplishment was never that easy.
In the year 1973, a year after the proclamation of Presidential Decree 1081 or Martial Law, the Philippine College of Commerce conceived the Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communication (ABMC). In the mid-70s when development communication was at its peak, then Philippine College of Commerce (PCC) formed a group of educators to design a commerce-based AB Development Communication Program. When PCC was converted into the Polytechnic University of the Philippines (PUP) in 1978, a curriculum was designed by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) which was called AB Development Communication.
In 1979, the Bachelor in Business Journalism Curriculum (BbuJ) was designed. A committee proposed the establishment of a Bachelor in Broadcast Journalism, a separate curriculum program for Broadcasting. Within the same year, BBRJ was renamed Bachelor in Broadcast Communication or BBRC and FAS turned into the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS). Bachelor in Business Journalism became Bachelor in Journalism or BJ in 1984.
Dr. Nemesio Prudente, upon his assumption to office as the University President in 1986 implemented the Department of Mass Communication. Dr. Rustica C. Carpio became the first Chairperson of DMC. In 1988, she proposed the establishment of the National Mass Communication Center and spearheaded the conversion of DMC to an Institute of Mass Communication. Dr. Carpio’s position paper was submitted to then-Senator Orlando Mercado and the latter authored Senate Bill Number 583 or “An Act Creating the Mass Communication Center of the Philippines.” Dr. Carpio was designated as the first Dean of the College of Languages and Mass Communication (CMLC) and concurrently served as DMC Chairperson in 1989.
On April 25, 1991, Senate Bill No. 583 was changed into Senate Bill No. 1791 by the Senate Committee on Public Information and Mass Media chaired by then-Senator Agapito Aquino. Without the amendment, with Senator Mercado as author, SB 1971 was approved. Thus, an edifice was put up at the NDC Compound along Anonas St., Sta. Mesa, Manila to serve as the Mass Communication Center which is also attached to PUP for administrative purposes.
In October 1993, the Department moved to its new home, the Mass Communication Center. It was inaugurated and blessed on December 13, 1993.
It was in May 2001 when the Department of Mass Communication realized its dream to become a College. The PUP Board of Regents approved the separation of DMC from CLMC and the College of Communication (COC) was born. Dr. Divina T. Pasumbal became the first Dean of the College of Communication
From then on, COC climbed its way from Level 1 to Level 4 Accreditation Status, soaring high as it earned significant achievements and recognition inside and outside the University, both locally and abroad.
Today, as it is about to turn 18 this July, carrying the theme “The Baby is now a Bae!” — the College of Communication, under the deanship of Dr. Divina T. Pasumbal continues to mirror the vision towards academic competence and excellence. The inclusion of the Bachelor in Advertising and Public Relations Program in the college is a true manifestation that this community is set to create a trend in communication education at par with international standards. Being one of the biggest communication schools in the Philippines, the COC upholds its commitment to provide quality communication education to a great number of economically-challenged but deserving and talented Filipino youths.
The opening celebration starts on the fourth week of July with booths, games, and gimmicks lined up by student organizations. The program opens with COC Convocation with mental health as its theme, while a climactic grand alumni homecoming is set for July 26 at Novotel, Cubao.
Credits: PUP Website Information, Inputs courtesy of Dr. Jose Reuben Q. Alagaran