MANILA, July 30 — Young Filipino students won 37 medals in two contests in Math and English in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
At the 13th Asian Finals of the World Math-Fusion Olympiad held from July 26 to 28, the Philippines won 23 awards consisting of 4 gold, 6 silver and 8 bronze medals, and 5 excellence certificates, according to the Mathematics Development Academy of the Philippines (MathDAP).
The Philippines dominated the contest and was the only country that won gold and silver medals in the level 3 category covering Grades 7, 8 and 9.
Alvann Walter Paredes Dy of St. Jude Catholic School and Krystal Lim Tiong Soon of Grace Christian College from the Philippine team emerged as the only gold medalists among all participants in level 3.
On the other hand, Filipino students bagged 6 gold, 8 silver and 5 bronze medals for a total of 19 in English at the 10th Global Finals of SPEAK International Competition also held in Kuala Lumpur, said the Philippine Board of Studies Foundation (PBOSF). The contest focused on skills including listening, reading and composition writing.
The Philippine delegation was accompanied by Alfredo Orosco and Angeline Orosco who said that participating countries in the two contests were the Philippines, China, Indonesia and Malaysia.
The new feat came after the Philippines won 11 awards at the recent 22nd Po Leung Kuk Primary Mathematics World Contest (PMWC) in Hong Kong.
The awardees from the Philippines are:
13th Asian Finals of the World Math-Fusion Olympiad
1. Alec Nathan Rongo – St. John’s Institute
2. Maria Bernadette Landicho – Stonyhurst Southville International School
3. Krystal Lim Tiong Soon – Grace Christian College
4. Alvann Walter Paredes Dy – St. Jude Catholic School
1. Lanz Arthur Gaurana – Trinity Christian School
2. Juan Rafael Landicho – Philippine Science High School-Calabarzon
3. John David Magnaye – Philippine Science High School-Main
4. Armea Helena Sien Dimayacyac – Philippine Science High School-Main
5. Walsh Nico Adrian Letran – St. Jude Catholic School
6. Kei Hang Derek Chan – St. Jude Catholic School
1. Benjamin Dacles – Trinity Christian School
2. Gian Paulo Oviedo – Trinity Christian School
3. Marie Emmanuelle Martinez – UP Integrated School
4. Erwyn Aenas Vibal – Philippine Science High School-Main
5. Christian Joseph Bunyi – San Beda College-Alabang
6. Eljan Cao – Philippine Science High School-Bicol
7. John Florence Dizon – Philippine Science High School-Main
8. Alexandra Brianne Gochian – St. Jude Catholic School
1. Eric Fabian Deiv Mendez – Ateneo de Naga University Grade School
2. Maria Martina Chiu – St. John’s Institute
3. Eric Fabian Thirdy Mendez – Philippine Science High School-BRC
4. Mariane Shane Gante – San Beda College-Alabang
5. Lorraine Joy Calica – UST Junior High School
10th Global Finals of SPEAK International Competition
1. Gregory Dy – Jubilee Christian Academy
2. Gianna Patricia Jimenez – San Beda College Alabang
3. Ambreinne Janne Fabila – St. Paul College Pasig
4. Syd Spencer Teo – Zamboanga Chong Hua High School
5. Rydel Ridley Lim – St. Stephen’s High School
6. Alexandra Louis Chan – Zamboanga Chong Hua High School
1. Mark Gomez Jr. – Trinity Christian School
2. Patricia Gaille Tiu – Iloilo Scholastic Academy
3. Jersey Jaclyn To – St. Stephen’s High School
4. Hans Emmanuel Vargas – Ateneo de Zamboanga University
5. Chantal Paige Vargas – Ateneo de Zamboanga University
6. Simone Abigail Chua – St. Stephen’s High School
7. Mehriell Ellice Ang – St. Jude Catholic School
8. Alessandro Leane Chan – Zamboanga Chong Hua High School
1. Adrian Zachary Liong – MGC New Life Christian Academy
2. Kohleen Rae Orpilla – Integrated Montessori Center
3. Maria Tajan – St. Paul College Pasig
4. Ivie Nyrelle Adiong – Saint Jude Catholic School
5. Raianna Amihan Carandang – Immaculate Heart of Mary College-Paranaque (MTG)