Home Newspaper Lapu-Lapu City mayor to file raps vs. n-CoV rumor-mongers

Lapu-Lapu City mayor to file raps vs. n-CoV rumor-mongers

By John Rey Saavedra

CEBU CITY – Mayor Junard Chan of Lapu-Lapu City on Tuesday said he will strictly implement the order of President Rodrigo Duterte to impose a crackdown against rumor-mongers that spread fake news about the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV).

Chan said he joined other local chief executives from other towns and cities in the country in a meeting with the President at the SMX Convention Center in Pasay City on Monday where the latter discussed his directives on how to contain the viral disease in their respective locality.

“President Duterte really made it a point to contain another virus, and that is fake news. He really wants that cases should be filed against those makers of the fake news,” he said in a radio interview.

Chan said the mayors clearly understood the intention of President Duterte in putting an end to the proliferation of unverified information about the 2019-nCoV that creates panic and hysteria among the people.

The mayor urged his constituents not to listen to unconfirmed reports and to only believe advisories that are officially released by the Department of Health (DOH).

“Our IT (information technology) Department is monitoring posts in Facebook about our city of Lapu-Lapu and how are our residents giving comments regarding the new coronavirus. And we will make exceptions to the posts that may cause panic,” Chan said in Cebuano.

He said he will file appropriate charges against those who are spreading rumors about the disease.

Meanwhile, Chan said the city has “zero” record of person under investigation (PUI), despite the fact that it hosts the Mactan-Cebu International Airport.

He said all of the individuals placed under contact-tracing due to the three cases of 2019-nCoV in the country who all entered Cebu through the airport were found negative of flu-like symptoms.

“So far, the more than 60 Chinese nationals that arrived at the Mactan airport were held and those personnel who may have had direct contact with them were traced and they reported they don’t have the symptoms,” Chan said.

Chan said the city tourism officer, Edward Mendez, has also required hotels and resorts to submit an incident command plan (ICP) as a measure to be implemented in case of virus contamination. (PNA)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

MUST READ

Lacson defends anti-terror bill from critics

By Jose Cielito Reganit   MANILA – The Anti-Terrorism Bill passed by the Senate has enough legal safeguards against perceived abuses that may be committed during its...

Solon urges NSWMC to provide list of non-eco-friendly products

By Filane Mikee Cervantes   MANILA – Deputy Speaker Loren Legarda on Thursday urged the National Solid Waste Management Commission (NSWMC) to formulate a list of non-environmentally...

Parlade renews call for CHR to take action vs. Reds’ atrocities

By Priam Nepomuceno   MANILA – A ranking military official called on the Commission on Human Rights (CHR) anew to take action against atrocities of the New...

DOT ramps up tourism marketing in int’l, local markets

By Raymond Carl Dela Cruz   MANILA – The Department of Tourism (DOT) is set to ramp up its marketing of the country’s tourism industry amid the...

No need for Duterte’s guidance on unaired ad refund: Palace

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos   MANILA – Broadcast firm ABS-CBN Corp. need not seek President Rodrigo Duterte’s guidance on how to donate the PHP2.6 million refund the...