Home Sports News Flores wins IBO belt over Peñalosa via split technical decision

Flores wins IBO belt over Peñalosa via split technical decision

by Joone Clooney

Carlo Caesar Peñalosa failed in his attempt to take the vacant International Boxing Organization flyweight title when he lost to Mexico’s Maximino Flores via split technical decision Sunday afternoon, August 25, at the TV5 Studio in Novaliches, Quezon City when the fight was prematurely stopped in the eighth round due to a cut suffered by the Filipino fighter.

 

Flores won with scores of 67-66, 68-65 and 67-66 in a fight that came to end due to an accidental clash of heads that caused a terrible cut on Peñalosa’s left brow in the third round. Blood poured out of the eye with the doctor quickly determining if the Filipino was ready to continue.

 

The cut was so bad that referee Garry Dean stopped the bout upon the advice of the ringside doctor and sent the fight to the scorecards for a technical decision.

 

Flores kicked off the match unleashed a rattle of boxy punches after cornering Peñalosa on the ropes. The Filipino fighter was outboxed in the first couple of rounds. Peñalosa also landed shifty left straights as Flores was coming in but these did not appear to bother the Mexican fighter.

 

Flores, the more aggressive fighter, spent most of the bout stalking forward and trying to rough Peñalosa up on the inside, landed many shots down the middle, right hooks and body shots.

 

There was misunderstanding at the end of the sixth round as it was first thought that the fight has already been ended. Referee Garry Dean, in an unusual move, asked for the microphone to explain that the IBO rules dictate that fights stopped due to an accidental head-butt will lead to a stoppage with the result being decided by the scorecards.

 

However, the ringside physician insisted that he never officially stopped the fight. The big difference was that if the fight was stopped by Peñalosa’s corner, it would have led to a technical knockout victory for Flores.

 

The doctor, soon after considered that Peñalosa could continue, which led to the continuation of the fight, much to the irritation of the Mexican’s corner. Flores’ corner, at first, refused to allow the fighter to continue but later on gave in. The two fought for one more round before the doctor officially called a stop to the bout before the start of the eighth round as the cut on Peñalosa’s brow went from bad to worse.

 

 

 

 

Denver “The Excitement” Cuello, who was watching by the ringside together with his manager-promoter Mr. CY, and fans hoped that this would force Peñalosa to fight with a sense of desperation but it did not turn out to be, as Flores continued to overpower his younger opponent by putting his head down, moving forward, and throwing heavy leather as he did not have a lot of respect for Peñalosa’s power.

 

The aftermath of the fight had led to the transitory plans of Mr. CY in setting up the Denver Cuello versus Maximino Flores title bout sometime in December of the current year before attempting to pinch the WBC Junior bantamweight title from Juan Francisco Estrada.

 

“The world title,” Mr. CY stated when asked what he wants next. “We’re ready. I want them all. It doesn’t matter.” said Mr. CY.

 

Peñalosa’s record dropped to 14 wins against two losses while Flores now has 25 wins against four defeats.

 

It was another frustrating result for the Peñalosa family as Dave Penalosa also came off from a loss via unanimous decision to Lerato Dlamini in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia last month.

41 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

MUST READ

Remembering SAF 44

Philippine National Police We proudly salute the gallant SAF 44, our modern-day heroes #SAF44 #PNPKakampiMo

Manila gov’t to distribute face masks amid coronavirus scare

By Ma. Teresa Montemayor   MANILA -- Manila City Mayor Francisco "Isko Moreno" Domagoso on Thursday said the local government will distribute 100,000 face masks to the...

PRRD can still function effectively as President: Panelo

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos   MANILA -- President Rodrigo Duterte, despite his age and health problems, can still “effectively” fulfill his mandate to serve and protect the...

CAB suspends PH-Wuhan flights indefinitely

By Ma. Cristina Arayata   MANILA -- The Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) on Thursday announced the indefinite suspension of flights between central China’s city of Wuhan and...

Filipino Bags First Prize in 2020 Year of ASEAN Identity Logo Design Competition

JAKARTA 23 January 2020 — A Filipino graphic artist from Lipa, Batangas, Joemari Manguiat, was awarded the first prize in the 2020 Year of...